Friday, July 13, 2012

Freeze the summer


Now it's time. To store the strawberries for the long and dark winter. I bought 5 kilos of sunny summer energy in the form of Polka strawberries. Cleaned them, cut into half, put into small plastic bags, 2 table spoons of sugar and off to the freezer. My mom's generation says there are certain strawberry sorts that are more suitable for freezing than others, but I've noticed you should simply freeze the ones you think are the sweetest (Polka for me, please) and not care whether it's optimal for freezing. Just freeze them early enough when they're still tasty and stiff, that's the best way to avoid mushy and watery harvest.


And of course I had to taste a few. With Ekberg baguette, Schönberg's brie and some thai basil leaves from my very own balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment